DEDUCTION / INTERPRETATION / GOING FURTHER
- Who is the sitter for this portrait ? Describe the way he is dressed.
- Look at the composition lines of the painting. In what geometrical figure can you fit the main character ?
- What is the purpose of the rugs and tapestries that form the background of this portrait ?
- What are the details in the painting ? Concentrate your attention on jewels, fabrics and colours.
- What impression do we gain of the person who is being painted ?
- What do you know about this monarch and can you imagine why he wanted this portrait to be painted ?
Words to help you : try to use as many as possible in your answers.
- a rug (on the floor)
- a tapestry (on the wall)
- patterns, designs
- fabric = woven materiel
- a padded doublet = un pourpoint matelassé
- a fur cap
- square-toed shoes
- heavy jewellery
- precious stones
- a dagger
- a Knight of the Garter
- adjectives : powerful, domineering, massive, opulent, luxurious
- a ruff = a lace collar
- a doublet = a jerkin